Skip to main content

Week 6 - Concept/Mind Mapping

The Five Senses

Classroom 
This concept map would be used throughout our unit on The Five Senses. Students will refer to this map during whole group discussions and learning. The videos can be viewed as each sense is introduced as well as throughout the unit as a refresher. As a class we can decide on information that should be added to the concept map throughout our learning of each sense. For example, students may decide to add sentences using the adjectives pertaining to each sense. They may decide to add more adjectives to the list as they think of them.

Students will differentiate between the five senses and organize any new information they learn using a concept map. 

Application 
My concept map aligns with some of the principles of multimedia. It aligns very well with the Signaling Principal in that there are cues highlighting the organization of the material. The Spatial Contiguity Principle in that the pictures and corresponding words are presented near each other. The Multimedia Principle in that pictures are included and it is not just text alone. Finally, my artifact aligns with the Personalization Principle, even though there is no narration, the written words are presented in a conversational style. 

Reflection
I have used concept/mind mapping quite often throughout my courses in this degree. It has been a fun way for me to learn and organize what I am learning. However, this project made it more clear to me as to how it can be used at the Kindergarten level. I especially love the idea of making it a collaborative work that my students will be able to add to. They will love being authors to this artifact. When I present this unit, I may even create a map with less information and hold them accountable for helping me fill in the information. 




Comments

  1. Great job on your concept map! It was very visually appealing. I really liked how you had pictures of the five senses next to each category. I think this is a helpful way for students to make connections with this topic. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work on the concept map! I agree with Sarah on the visual appeal of it. The map was very well organized and easy to follow. The processes you used to guide your creation of this were beneficial. If I were a student of yours I would benefit from it and it is engaging with the visuals and colors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4 - Educational Video

Classroom This video would be used at the beginning of the school year when the time is appropriate to introduce basic 2D shapes. This would be a great introduction video (and maybe even better if it was fine tuned 😊) I would use this video during whole group discussion or perhaps during small group time at centers. Students would watch this video and then with a clipboard and writing materials they would walk around the room and gather a list of two dimensional shapes they find. Another idea would be to have them just keep track of the number of times they find each shape using a chart of some sort. This would incorporate other math skills like graphing or tallying to collect data. Students could always refer back to the video via their iPad at their table if they forget a shape.  Students will identify and chart basic 2 dimensional shapes around the classroom.   Creativity  This is a tough one as far as Kindergarten goes (multimedia resources, p...

Week 1 - Introduction

Hey everyone! My name is Melissa. I am a Kindergarten teacher for Big Rapids Public Schools.  I am about to complete my tenth year teaching. I taught first grade for four years and now it's been almost six teaching Kindergarten. I am just four classes away from obtaining my Masters Degree in EDU Tech. I am so excited about this course in particular because I'll get to play and experiment. As educators, we don't often get that kind of time. I learn best through hands on experiences. I am also excited to be able to share some of the things I learn about various multimedia resources with my fellow teachers. I am definitely concerned about juggling the first six weeks of this course with the last six weeks of the school year. However, a little time management, organization and of course a little anxiety will get me through. 😜 I am looking forward to collaborating with and learning from you all throughout the next eight weeks.